Friday 17 November 2017

Running for Charity


I thought I was done blogging about my runs. But then, a run for charity that too organised by company deserves a mention. Come month of October and it is time for Daan Utsav and it is approached with as much zeal and enthusiasm as any other endeavour at our organisation. Apart from collecting donations, multiple events are conducted with the proceeds going to an orphanage. This year a run was organised as part of the Daan Utsav. Since, I was not able to participate in any of the other events, I opted for the run - 10k.

I had not run since AHM in August. My fitness regime included morning walks, stationary bike and yoga. That too were missing for the past couple of weeks from my daily routine, and the week leading to the run I was sick. Naturally, I was not very keen on going. But two things prompted me to go - one, it was not a 10k loop, it was a 5k loop to be done twice. That meant I could turn back any time. Second, there were many first timers, who assured me they would be walking and not running, so I wouldn't be the odd person out. And to top it, everybody gets a finisher medal, irrespective of the distance ran and time taken.


The day arrived and we assembled at 6 a.m.. To my dismay, none of the people who pushed me into coming were there. After a pre-run warm-up, we started off. It was a totally amazing and fun experience, running with the people you know. Seeing known faces at every step, being cheered by name was something different. We were mutually motivating each other and the seasoned runners slowed their pace to give us tips and encourage us. I found a colleague whose pace and mindset matched mine and we completed 5k together. It was first time I ran with someone and sure felt nice. Once we completed 5k, I decided to call it a day. But then the people who promised to walk with me arrived and were about to start. So completed the second half of the 10k walking. It was a totally unconventional and unusual run. The breakfast and the photo session that followed were all worth the effort. The best part was the kids from the orphanage who came to cheer us all the way. Kudos to the organisers and volunteers.


1 comment:

  1. Seems a good and enjoyable experience. Keep going....or running rather. All the best.
    Mummy

    ReplyDelete