Sunday 1 October 2017

Generation Gap

I am a typical Indian with movies forming a major part of my life. My mom's family is obsessed with movies, not only do they watch movies but remember every detail about the movies. No gathering is complete without watching a movie, followed by an in-depth analysis and a quiz session. For me, it's the whole movie-going experience that matters, not totally concerned about the movie as such. With multiplexes, the whole movie experience has gone for a toss. Now we have to wade through the idle window shoppers, salespeople trying to sell membership to some club or the other, the events at the malls and what not, before reaching the theatre, or "screens". Then comes the meagre popcorn exorbitantly priced, not to mention a bottle of water. Anyway, I compromised to that, since I don't like watching movies on the TV screen. I feel the whole at home idea takes the concentration away from the movie. Once I start watching a movie, I pay attention to the story, characters and dialogues, not for me are the elaborate sets and intricate stunts. That does not mean I don't enjoy fantasy, mythological and action movies, I adore them.
 
Let us come to the content of the current movies. Past couple of years I have witnessed a major disappointment in that area, too. I have been seeing movies and coming out either disgusted or feeling sorry for the current generation. This is what the Generation Gap is all about, I decided. 

After almost a year of hiatus, I ventured into the moviedom. Especially after hearing rave reviews of few Telugu movies. But alas, the experience did not change. Let me explain. When I go to a movie I go with some set expectations - Amitabh Bachan, Akshay Kumar, Ajay Devgn movies are all about revenge, action and in general good over evil; Rajesh Khanna, Karan Johar, Yash Chopra movies are all about family drama and sentiments; Govinda, Rohit Shetty movies are all about senseless comedy and stunts. Most of the times these expectations are met and I feel happy. But the current generation movies defy these expectations. It is more like we, the audience, have to cater to the moviemakers' expectations. These days most movies which have stars are lacking in content. It is like the makers have decided that cast will sell the movie, content does not matter. It is seen in movies like Khaidi No 150, Temper, Gautami Putra, Duvvada Jagannadham and Spyder and of course Bahubali. I for one don't like to be taken for granted.
Then there are movies touted to cater for the entire family - Sitamma Vakitlo..., Satamanam Bhavati,  Rarandoyi..... The problem I have with these movies is that they are too utopic. Agreed movies are for entertainment and not to be taken literally, but at the end of the day, I get confused how the characters are related to each other and how many festivals or pre-wedding events are in existence. And what is the message they are trying to convey? Apart from reiterating the fact that youth is going to cities and the US pursuing greener pastures and are leaving their old parents and traditions behind.
Then comes the trendsetters, the so-called path-breaking movies - Fida, Arjun Reddy. I didn't find anything path-breaking about them. The storyline in both cases was an age-old one. Trendsetters are supposed to showcase something different which is worth pursuing - Telangana accent and a hero who ODs when encountered with the first hurdle in life is not the trend I was expecting. 
To some extent, I liked Ninnu Kori a bit better. Even though the premise was absurd, it was in line with the characters and their portrayal.

We go to a movie to forget our present and for some relief from our monotonous routine lives. But, a movie is more than entertainment. It portrays the current life situations and gives a way to deal with them. They should not be too far away from reality, and either through comedy or through subtle hints they should give us the strength to face the world with all its imperfections and unfairness. 


2 comments:

  1. Good write- up of course.But in my opinion we shouldn't expect more from movies.Our thoughts get matured due to our age and experience.I enjoyed many movies without any second thought during my student life.But same movies if I watch now on T.V I surprise how I liked those then For example Mooga manasulu.I liked it then but now over actions and melo drama dominated Similayly with Dil Yek Mandir. The only way of enjoying movies is a retreat to our childhood

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly how I feel. But what can be done? Unless we plunge into movie making we cannot expect good movies, eh? But seriously the movies reflect the frivolous lifestyle and mindset of present generations. No thought about values or responsibilities or societal awareness.
    Mummy

    ReplyDelete