Thursday 24 August 2017

My Tryst with Running


Post the successful completion of 5K (Confessionsof First Time Runner), though I had vowed not to run, I continued with the training program. It was convenient, in open space and with the best company ever. I diligently attended all training sessions, but never went for any long runs. Though I had registered for AHM 2017, I didn’t see myself as a marathon runner. I was happy doing what I was doing. It had drastically improved the quality of my life. I was feeling more energetic, my tolerance levels improved – both physically and mentally. I was able to last a full day without getting irritated or frustrated or yelling at anyone. People around me noticed and commented on the changed personality and that was motivation enough to keep going.

Everything seemed fine and gradually the intensity of training increased. Suddenly I started feeling exhausted and tired throughout the day. I was falling sick too often with aches and ills. This was two months into the training and two months to the AHM. I didn’t understand what was going on. Family members as usual said I needed to give up the training, and that I was trying too hard. My dad, a walking fanatic, reiterated that daily walk should be enough for my fitness goals. My mom, though encouraging, thought her little girl was over-tiring herself. For once my better-half, who never objected to what I did or didn’t, ratified my dad’s thought on walking. It seemed I was surrounded by naysayers and it was difficult to get over that kind of negativity. To prove them wrong, I went through a medical check-up. Turned out I was deficit on Vit D and Iron. Might be it was coincidence or might be I should have taken care of my diet during the training sessions. So the regime of supplements started and I gave up on training. Instead, I started working out on my own. Doing the stretches and runs on my own, restricting the runs to 3-4K.

Come August, the month of AHM, anxiety levels grew. I was registered for 10K, I wanted to do it but my confidence levels were rock bottom. How can I hope to run 10K when I was yet to cross the 5K mark? There is a concept of sweep bus, which would go around after the cut off time and pick up the stragglers, I didn’t want to be on that!!! I never felt this bad even before my board exams. Of course, there was constant encouragement, too. Especially from a colleague at work, he regaled me with stories of his first 10K and   made me realise that everyone went through the same phase. I was missing my running gang. One week before the run, I started attending the training again, mainly to be with the gang and get motivated. Bless each one of them, it worked.

Run Day finally arrived. There was a rain prediction for 48 hrs the day before race. I was apprehensive about running in rain, though people kept telling me that it was an amazing experience. But as with all weather predictions, there was no rain on the day. Perfect weather. We were at the venue by 6am, 10K run was to start at 7am. My target was to complete 10K in not more than 2hrs. Modest, but realistic goal.

The first 2K were too easy. My pace was around 8 mins/km. I was elated, didn’t feel too ardous. The 1:10hr pacer was within sight. Dare I hope?
The 3rdK was tough. That’s when the ascent started and my pace started reducing. It was brutal and I was ready to give up, but there was no transport visible. Suddenly slope descended and I literally rolled down the hill. It gave the much needed respite.
4-5K - my pace was improving and I started feeling better. I was still doing fine with 1:20hr pacer within sight. Not bad I thought to myself. I started walking uphill and running downhill and before I knew it I crossed the 5K mark. I bettered my own record!!!!
At the 6K mark all hell broke loose. Two people collapsed in front of me and ambulances were on their way. It was scary with all the sirens and the volunteers running around. A word about the organisers and volunteers, they were superb. Organising an event at that scale is an herculean task, and the volunteer group was ever encouraging and supporting. I was especially impressed by the school kids lined up to cheer us, it was sight to see.
Then came the toughest challenge of all - the Gachibowli flyover. Luckily for me, by then the serious runners had crossed and most of the people were like me, walking (dragging their feet would be more apt) up the flyover. Suddenly I realised I lost sight of the 1:20hr pacer. I peeked at my watch and my average pace had climbed to 10 min/km. Damn. But then I told myself it’s ok you are here to complete not compete.
Slowly we trudged and crossed the 8K mark, but the 9K mark took forever to appear. The lady next to me wondered if she missed the 9K marker, I said no. As if responding to the mood my player started playing “Azeeb dastan hai, kahan shuru kahan khatam, yeh manzilein hai kaunsi….”, I literally laughed at the irony despite the situation. And then we entered the Stadium, never did any arch look so welcoming. That’s when the theory of relativity finally sunk in. When I was a regular to IIIT, stadium was next door, I would come out of IIIT and take a U-Turn at stadium to head back to the city. In those days, especially when there was traffic, the U-Turn seemed to come too fast, now the distance between the IIIT gate and stadium entrance seemed a mile-long!!!!
Inside the stadium was festive atmosphere with all the music and happy chatter of runners, meeting with their family, friends and co-runners.  I was exhausted and at the same time elated. I did it, I completed the 10K without giving up. I couldn’t believe it.

Post-race: We booked a cab to get back home. The minute I sat in the cab, it felt sooo refreshing and relieving. But at the time of alighting the cab, the pain was excruciating. It was a repeat performance the rest of the day, be idle for few minutes and then any movement proved to be a torture. By the next day afternoon I was doing just fine. Dare I set my target for half marathon!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Wow!!!! Way to go!! Like your dedication, Manjula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gone through your confessions which are very true..You know I used to walk daily to my job without using any vehicle. After crossing my 50's I used to feel a bit tired.After retirement no continuation to my healthy practice.I wish a healthy practice by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? You surprised me both with the run and with the narrative. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good report. So in a way we motivated you through demotivating, right? But seriously creditable achievement for a first timer. We are proud of you. Keep going and improving. As always, you can do better.
    Mummy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow !!! Those were fantabulous !!! The achievement as well as the narrative :-)
    keep at it. Continue training, grow the tribe

    ReplyDelete