Wednesday 14 December 2011

Civic Sense

Recently Times of India conducted a survey about most livable cities of India, based upon various categories. There was one category which confused me a lot. Civic Sense. The confusion was because Hyderabad topped the list. The percentage was less, 27%, but it beat other cities like Bangalore, Pune etc..
I think my English is pretty good, but now I am doubting myself. What is civic sense? Do Hyderabadi people have better civic sense than rest? God save the other cities.
As is usual with our generation I did a google search on Civic Sense, one definition caught my attention - "Knowing better than to buy one. Stay away from Hondas". From Yahoo Answers, hilarious, right?
Now coming back to Hyderabad and Civic Sense, I made a list of things that definitely dont qualify Hyderabadis on having any
  • using streets, footpaths, any public place as a dustbin, spittoon and urinal
  • blocking the doorways to shops, malls, trains, buses - u know how everyone stands on the threshold and looks around, causing a traffic jam
  • trying to squeeze to the beginning of the line, any line be it at ticket counter, traffic signals, cash counters
  • thinking they have right of the way anywhere and everywhere
  • talking loudly on cellphones, irrespective of the place u r in - shops, movie theatres, malls, buses, autos, driving
  • demanding one be served first and better than rest
The worst thing I feel, is the attitude of these same people when they go abroad. There they are epitomes of civility, they are very careful. Careful to the extent as not to carry/eat Indian food at workplace, the strong smell offends colleagues. The minute they step out of the airport they spit on the side-walk.
These days we have ample provision of spittoons, public toilets at strategic locations, but still no one uses them, it has to be the road/pavement.
And talking loudly over cell phones, I feel the person on the other end can hear directly.I have the urge to cover my ears rather than hear private conversations in public places.
The list goes on and on, but you get my confusion, right? Am I missing something? Is there really better civic sense in Hyderabad? Am I looking at things wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment