Wednesday 7 March 2012

Tech-savvy Senior Citizens

When Dad retired, we were a bit worried as to how he will react to all that free time. Its been a while and we are yet to hear of him getting bored. The thing that keeps him and my mom occupied is technology. They are hooked on to TV, watching serials which I pity them for, but they seem happy. The other thing is computer. Their (or rather my mom's) tryst with computer began with emails, their way of keeping in touch with me and my brother in US. Then they upgraded to chat, video conferences and Skype. Then to online banking and other transactions. Now it is their yahoo group.

Couple of years ago my mom and her siblings started yahoo group. We gave them 6 months, max, and by then we were sure their interest would wane off and it would be long forgotten. With 68,000 messages in 4yrs they are still going strong. What do they do? They keep in touch with everyone, forward inspirational messages and interesting news bites, conduct online quizzes, share songs and videos over youtube, you name it and they have done it. It is really heartening to see their commitment to it. They log on twice or thrice in day, it is part of their routine now. One of my uncle is an expert net-surfer, he gathers all these interesting sites and shares them. He keeps uploading these wonderful images and links to cool websites.  One of my Aunt has become a writer, she writes stories in Telugu and sends it to the group in a serial format. For those who cant read Telugu there is an audio file. Recently she expanded her horizon to blog. My mom posts her stories. Then there are poetry and prose competitions. Come festival and there is a culture enlightenment for our generation. They share pictures of gatherings, they share travel news. It is amazing how much one gets to know in this group. Their common bond, apart being same family, is love for Telugu music. Song clips and links are regular features here.

It is not just them. I see all around me senior citizens being net-savvy. What started from a desire to keep in touch with children and grandchildren has turned into an hobby. My father-in-law is active in LinkedIn, he always keeps himself up-to-date with technology. He has dual-sim gsm phone and is planning on getting himself a notebook. My mother-in-law has iPhone, of course she likes playing games on it, she hates smart phones. My mom has iPad. Sometimes I feel like I am from their previous generation, with me harping about my desktop, landline and radio!!!!!

Hats off to them.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice idea.We also want to share your blog.Your views are very sober and gentle

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice blog in deed. we can share and care .congrats. keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your appreciation. but all these things we learnt from you and others of Genext only! anyway as they say, everyone should take care of himself and his timepass and hobbies,instead of depending on others, isn't it? we are just following the old dictum to the core!
    mummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Liked?Be in link with our blog also

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apt observation on the yahoo group activity, R & I wondered the same when it started but we are amazed at the energy and drive that generation has brought into the group. They are stepping up to experience the next step with blogs..

    Nagashree

    ReplyDelete