Wednesday 14 March 2012

Prejudices

The other day we met a friend, she was meeting my husband after a long time. She asked whether I cook well, I am sure she asked casually and it was an idle chit-chat. But it triggered a series of thoughts. We are all prejudiced and tend to type cast people.
I remember when I was newly married, an elderly lady at my inlaws asked my husband if I cooked at home. After getting an answer in affirmation, she probed further "does she cook onions", a big taboo in her kitchen. My husband retorted with "she will if I ask her to". I didnt know to respond. More recently a neighbor asked what was cooking in our kitchen, it was bitter gourd. She gave her approval only after confirming that my husband does indeed like bitter gourd. Even now I am not sure how to respond. A woman is supposed to cook and that too only what her husband likes????

Prejudice is deep set in our minds, be it domestic situation, fashion statement or dress sense. We always judge people by their gender, appearance. Their behavior comes last. I am not saying it is right or wrong. I do it all the time. I want to ask for directions, I pick a decently dressed, preferably female but for most instances an auto wallah or chai baddi wallah will be of better help. I see a person with unkempt hair, I assume they are highly disorganised. We see a man struggling with his kids we are all sympathetic and look around for the mother. At the same time we see a woman struggling with her kids, we doubt her parenting skills. Our reaction is just the opposite if instead of kids they are struggling with their vehicles.
What is the root of this prejudice? Are we justified in behaving this way? How many times have we fallen into this prejudice trap only to be proved wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment