Wednesday 8 February 2012

Reading Books - a Lost Art

My idea of relaxation has always been in a reclining chair with a good book in hand. Any book would do, for that matter, and old hindi songs playing in the background. I am not much of a TV person, and find watching TV a bit of a strain. My favorite time to watch TV has been to remove monotony of some job like cutting veggies or ironing clothes. Apart from that not a TV buff.

Coming back to reading books, there have been many phases to it. Initially it had been comics, cartoons in magazines, then Enid Blytons, Nancy Drews, Hardy Boys, a very short phase of Mills n Boons (never got hooked onto those), then the fiction. Summer vacation at grandma's would mean visits to local libraries for Perry Mason's, James Hardley Chase. When we were in London and later US, got hooked onto public libraries. A great concept, wish it were implemented in India. Of course, all the while Mummy's home library was always open. I still find it hard to spend money on books, I always believe books should be recycled not stored in one place, they have to circulate.

My taste for books has always been influenced by people/situations around me. Initially it had been what was available at school library - that is where Nancy Drews and Hardy Boys came into picture. I still remember boys resenting my reading Hardy Boys. According to them it was guy stuff and Nancy Drew and Enid Blyton were girlie stuff. Perry Mason and Chase were based on the availability during the long summer vacations. Later in London, a friend introduced me to the Classics - Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, etc. etc. TV introduced me to Sherlock Holmes, Carl Sagal, Robert Ludlum(Jason Bourne) etc. (ok, TV is not that bad after all). Another friend introduced John Grisham; my sister-in-law to the world of Harry Potter and JRR Tolkien; my students to the world of Twilight and vampires; my husband to the world of Dilbert, Calvin and Hobbes; my brother to Superman, Spiderman, Asterix (he tried a lot with PGWodehouse, but somehow wasnt successful). Of course, first and foremost my parents for encouraging me to read. Never did I hear my parents object to any book I picked to read, even if it was beyond my age/understanding. 

Recently, Tintin movie was released. Everyone enjoyed it. I asked a few kids, who really enjoyed the movie, if they read the comics. No one had read it. In this age of video games, the reading is taking a back seat. It is done only for school books, nothing else is read. Books teach you so many things, first the language, then the art of communication, the art of peaceful enjoyment. The kids these days are missing so much. They get all information online. But is that sufficient? I am not a big fan of e-books but I would recommend them to kids who think computer to be everything. Anything to get them to read again. Oh the beauty of Amar Chitra Kathas, Twinkles, Chandamamas, I could go on and on and on........

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely true!! I cannot imagine a holiday or a journey without a book. I have survived 4-5 overseas assignments solely because I had books for company. Even today, I read at least couple of pages before going to sleep. Nowadays, it is very rare to find girls or boys reading. Of course, I did notice that those who have a reading habit have very good vocabulary, better power of expression and most of all, better analytical skills. I see that a lot in the students I interact with.
    The scene in US is very different though. Since the reading habit is inculcated even before they can write their ABC.. they are way ahead. Sometimes compulsory enforcing of a habit earlier on in life has its benefits. It might feel like a chore then, but one starts enjoying it with time.

    ReplyDelete