Wednesday 23 November 2011

My American Nephew

Today is my nephew's birthday, first birthday. I cant believe he is an year old. I am sure he doesnt understand a bit of what is happening, but we are all excited about it.

What makes this all the more special is, it is a one month long celebration, with 4 birthday celebrations. Can you imagine, this teeny weeny baby is getting a month-long celebration? It all started with his birthday according to his paternal grandparents, then it will be followed by birthday according to Julius Caesar, then according to his parents (over the weekend in keeping with American tradition), then according to his maternal grandparents. Is he lucky or what? He makes me wish I was born now and had so many people helping me celebrate so many birthdays.

That reminds me of a lady who was born on the 29th of February. She celebrates according to the Hindu calendar, on 28th Feb and on 1st March. Her logic, since 29th comes in between 28th and 1st, she doesnt want to miss the moment when it flashes across. Of course, in a leap year, her celebrations are over 4 days, dont want to break the tradition, you see.

And then there is my husband, who thinks that his date-of-birth is numerologically inauspicious for him, hence doesnt like celebrating his birthday at all. I try telling him that it is a lucky date for me, so I should get a chance to celebrate it but to no avail.

Coming back to my nephew, guess how many gifts he will be getting? In keeping with Indian tradition, irrespective of the gender of the child, near and dear ones present them with gold. So already he is rich, and now he will get richer. There is a theory about the birthday parties thrown, it is to collect gifts. Of course, I dont endorse that opinion, a gift once in a while wont do any harm, right? So what if sometimes you have to be explicit about it?

Anyway, Many Many Happy Returns to my nephew, have fun as you have every other day of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment