Saturday 24 May 2014

Summer and Pickles - Part 2


This year taking advantage of the fact that my parents are in USA, visiting my brother, I decided to take the plunge. Added to this was the fact that my mil made pickle when my hubby was in London, so he missed out on all the fun. Further, my brother challenged me to make avakai as good as my mom's and then he would accept me as a good cook !!!!! Challenge accepted.

So on a fine Saturday morning of May, my hubby and me set off. We went to Monda market (a wholesale market for fruits and vegetables in Secunderabad area). Bought mangoes, got them cut (there are people there who cut it there), bought ingredients - mustard powder, chilli powder, salt and oil. Had breakfast on the way back and reached home, all excited and enthused. Each piece has to be cleaned individually, which took almost an hour. Then the mixing of the ingredients. 

 


Turns out I don't have any big enough vessel to store the pickle. Parents duplicate key comes in handy, raid their kitchen for the appropriate vessel. 













Well there all done, now the waiting game begins. You too wait along with me for the results........


8 comments:

  1. Good mouth watering blog.Photos are very fine.It seems you did it single handed.very glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. peddamamayya, i had help from ravi....

      Delete
  2. wow...mouth watering . when we get chance to taste the wonderful avakai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. whenever you come to hyderabad, chinna dodda

      Delete
  3. Mouth-watering!! Need to plan a visit and taste it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very tempting narration. All the best! Looking forward to taste it asap.

    ReplyDelete