Monday 1 July 2013

Tryst with Network Provider

Recently, I tried changing my pre-paid connection to post-paid connection. The reason for change was the efforts of a persistent telemarketer. She had the perseverance which would have put Vikramaditya (of "Vikram and Betaal" fame not Ravi Teja) to shame. She called me continuously for three days till I said yes. My main concern was time taken for the process. She assured me that it would be done within a day and the package details were also good. So I went ahead with it.

First, their sales executive came home to collect my signatures on form, one id proof and one address proof.  That was a Saturday. He gave me a new post-paid sim. He said there will be an sms indicating the de-activation of service, at which point I was to switch the sim cards. Then dial an id verification number, give them the details and within 15mins my post-paid connection would be activated. Sounds simple, right? Well, my woes had just begun.

The day passed and the next, with no sms. I was worried. Since I was getting a post-paid connection I did not recharge my pre-paid card and the balance was running low. I was at home the first two days and had access to landline, hence no problem. But then come Monday, I was to go out. I had to recharge my card. In the meanwhile, there were three calls verifying my details. I should have taken the hint and cancelled the entire process.

On Tuesday, I happened to be at home, when another guy from airtel came to confirm my address. He asked details of my employment and my husband's. On prying I came to know that he was ascertaining the fact that I was capable of paying the bills. On Wednesday finally my pre-paid card got de-activated. I changed the sim and called the verification desk. They asked for my house address, the one I rattled off didnt match the one on their records. What next? She said she will pass it on to another department and let me know. Nothing till evening. I call again, and go through the entire process and get the same assurance. I loose my cool. It seems their data entry operator entered the address wrong and for that I have to wait couple of more hours for anything to happen.

I decided nothing is going to happen on the phone. I go to the airtel office to see what can be done. I reach early and find it not busy yet. But as my luck would have it, the minute I sit the system stops responding and I have to wait for the technician to fix the glitch. Finally my record comes up and the address has a / instead of a 1 in the house number. I was carrying the address proof and showed it to them. The solution, I was asked to call the verification number and give them the wrong address and get my cell activated !!!!!!!! I was already too tired and frustrated to argue, just caved in and obliged. Got my connection within half hour.

I had often wondered at the pre-processing that happens when you try to create an account, whether it is a bank account or a mobile network account or a gas connection. And always was given to understand that it was to minimise all the misuse that takes place, but still misuse happens. And how, I came to know it first-hand. There are so many ways of bypassing the rules and regulations !!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. What a trouble?In every step genuine persons are troubling a lot but the authorities say all this is for avoiding mis-use only.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sad. The procedural delays harass people to such an extent that we hesitate to attempt any new thing or change.

    ReplyDelete