Wednesday 1 August 2012

Value System

The other day me and my friends went to see the movie 'Cocktail'. I suggested it, since the review said it needs to be seen with closest friends and that it will help strengthen the bond. In the middle of the movie, one of my friends lamented "what are we doing here", that summarised the emotions of all of us. I am just hoping that suggesting the movie didnt put me on a blacklist, instead of bonding we would be un-bonding!

These days while watching a movie, I am not able to enjoy or connect with them. I used to think generation gap. But this movie went beyond that. It violates the value system which India stands for, I felt. It was loaded with pub culture, discotheques, live-in relationships. Is this what the youth of India is upto these days? Of course, the setting was London, hence might be people will say it is not in India. But a little digging around reveals that it is true of India too. It is a crime if a person in late-teens is not in a relationship. They should have already been in couple of relationships, actually. Aping the west has gone a step further. First it was food, then dress, then malls, and now this. Is it really necessary? The age when they are supposed to be focussing on their studies and career, they are into relationships, break-ups and what not. Where is the good old value system going?

I know I am going to get beaten up for saying this, but still.... First we expose ourselves, have fun and then lament when people talk loosely about us. We have always been taught that girls need to be extra careful, not because we don't trust girls but because we don't trust the boys. One cannot say that I will leave my house open and no one should rob it. Fine, locked houses get robbed too, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be careful. That is what is happening with our society these days. And if someone comments on how the way girls dress effects the ways guys react to it, it is wrong. An apology is demanded. What is wrong in that, I ask? The reason we ask girls to be careful is because they are more precious and valuable.

2 comments:

  1. Good blog.You are right in pointing out the need for extra care for our teen aged ones whether boys or girls.We blindly imitate foreign people thinking it as a great one.But in our genes we wish to be true Indians.Once if we get a bad name
    regarding our behaviour it is very difficult to erase it.Nobody will do bad deeds but people are ready to spread rumors.Pubs,Disco-theks are treated as part of civilization now-a-days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good and very valid point. If only the present generation realise this!

    ReplyDelete