Tuesday 21 June 2022

My Tryst with Yoga

On this International Yoga Day, 21st June 2022, let me trace my yoga journey.

I was first introduced to yoga by Zarna Aunty, I should say ma'am but she was a family friend who used to conduct yoga classes out of her apartment in Hyderabad. I was studying degree then and was getting bored during one summer vacation and started attending her classes. It was fun, we used chairs,  balcony railing, our dupattas and many such household items as props and used to do quite a few stretching asanas. Then studies, career, and marriage took precedence. On and off, I would do some asanas, as best as I could remember.

While in the US, I tried various fitness fads - gym, aerobics, etc but never found my groove. This was the late-90s and yoga was not the in-thing, yet. So finding yoga studios were a bit rare and expensive. I did find some books and tried to revive my yoga skills, what little I possessed. But it didn't sustain. I settled for long walks and a self-devised exercise routine. 

Once we returned to India, and I quit my active career, I started hunting for yoga places. Tried many - Hatha, Ashtanga, Vinyasa, and even hot yoga. But either the timings or the instructor didn't work. Then I discovered Art of Living and got hooked onto Pranayama. I was quite happy doing their Sudarshana Kriya and a few rounds of Surya Namaskars on a daily basis. That sustained for a long time. Then the running bug bit me, and that was another story, as you are all aware (see here if interested).

Once the running euphoria died out, I was back to yoga. The thing with yoga is that it is holistic. 

Your entire body and life change with yoga. You realise what your body is capable of and it is really enlightenment, a eureka moment if you please. While we do asanas the focus is not only on the posture but also on the breathing. this gives clarity of thought which sustains throughout the day. The flexibility is not limited to the body but extends to the mind also. I have noticed I am much calmer and more forgiving and compromising on the days I practice yoga. 

I got back into regular Yoga sessions conducted in our colony. But lockdown put an end to it. I played around with some apps, but without posture correction, it was proving futile. Then I discover Energizer Yoga at Somajiguda. Their online and offline offerings, along with multiple batch timings give flexibility to the students which is a big plus. The instructors are very capable and efficient. It's not an easy task to teach yoga online and be able to give attention to each student individually but these instructors have achieved it successfully. I don't feel like I am missing anything when attending online classes,  same attention to detail. I see my flexibility limits being stretched, so also the endurance levels. I could even complete 108 Surya Namaskars under their able guidance. I love their Aerial Yoga sessions, too.


I would suggest everyone make yoga part of their lifestyle, you won't regret it. Of course, if you are looking for instant results like drastic weight loss or some such thing, then yoga is not for you. Yoga needs a lot of patience and you will see a gradual and subtle change in your life which is evident first to people around you before yourself. 


2 comments:

  1. Good progress. Keep it up 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome photos. Congratulations for still maintaining.

    ReplyDelete